Sea snakes of Okinawa

Laticauda colubrina Philippa Mantel, 1999   Yellow-lipped sea snakeAuthority: Schneider, 1799

Gusuku, Sonohyan Utaki, Tamaudun, Shikina-en, Sefa Utaki

Sonohyan Utaki sacred grove Sonohyan Utaki Ishimon is located to the rear of Shurei Gate, on the left.

Pine Rivers History & Heritage

Tom Petrie's Reminiscences of Early Queensland, compiled by his daughter in 1904, provides the most detailed of all surviving accounts of Aboriginal life in the Moreton Bay region. Petrie established his homestead, Murrumba (meaning 'good' in the local dialect), near the North Pine River in territory held by the Aboriginal community which he called the North Pine tribe.

European Discovery

The Glass House MountainsLieutenant (later Captain) James Cook, on his voyage around the world in H.M.S. Endeavour, named Point Lookout on Stradbroke Island, Cape Morton (now Moreton) and Morton (Moreton) Bay on 17 May 1770. Cook applied the latter name to the bight between the two capes (not the present Moreton Bay).
Oxley's landing placeThe story of John Oxley's discoveries in the Moreton Bay region begins on 15 April 1823 when three ticket-of-leave convicts, John Finnegan, Thomas Pamphlett and Richard Parsons, were shipwrecked off the coast of Moreton Island.

The Pastoral Pioneers

Under the direction of the newly appointed Commandant, Lieutenant Henry Miller, an advance party of fourteen soldiers and about thirty convicts left Sydney in the Government brig 'Amity' on 1 September 1824 to establish a convict settlement in Moreton Bay. The Surveyor-General of New South Wales, John Oxley, was in command of the ship and was also responsible for selecting and charting suitable sites for settlement.
The first civilian surveyors, Robert Dixon, James Warner and Granville Stapylton, arrived at the Moreton Bay settlement on 8 May 1839. The convict period was winding down and, as part of a strategy to prepare the district for free settlement, they were sent to conduct a trigonometrical survey of the region. Although there had been considerable exploration of the region, no proper survey had been made and the existing maps were based on compass bearings, many of which were uncorrected for magnetic variation.
In the middle of 1843, Captain Frank (Francis Henry) Griffin (ca. 1813-1881) of Sydney became the first free settler to occupy land currently part of the Pine Rivers Shire. A short time later, Frank was joined by his brothers John and William. The run taken up by the Griffins for raising both cattle and sheep, which was named Whiteside, was an extensive portion of 28 square miles of land on the north bank of the North Pine River stretching from the sea coast as far west as Terror's Creek and northwards nearly as far as the Caboolture River.
In 1844, two Darling Downs squatters, James Sibley and Joseph King, selected the Samsonvale run south of the North Pine River. The run was so named because of its proximity to Mount Samson, a high peak in the D'Aguilar Range.
Although they are closer to Brisbane than most other areas in the Pine Rivers Shire, the secluded valleys of the upper reaches of the South Pine River were not settled until the mid 1850s.